Decorative plant containers serve a dual purpose of holding your indoor or outdoor plants as well as adding interest and beauty to your living space or garden. There are many types of decorative plant containers, all of which are available online and in stores.
Best Decorative Plant Containers: Materials
Many materials are available to choose from for containers. You should always consider the advantages and disadvantages of each type of material.
- Wood: attractive and holds water well, however you must purchase wood that won’t rot
- Concrete: reliable and heavy, but may not be the most attractive material
- Plastic: relatively inexpensive, but may leak unhealthy chemicals into your plants’ soil
- Clay: attractive and slightly more breathable, but doesn’t hold water as well and is prone to cracking in winter
- Ceramics: come in many attractive varieties, but are also subject to cracks in extreme cold
- Hybrid: there are now also options that include a mix of synthetic and natural materials to create a happy medium material
Best Decorative Plant Containers: Size
Make sure you choose a decorative container large enough for your plant to grow successfully. Look at the space requirements for the roots of the plants you are trying to grow and purchase a container according to the requirements. A decorative container won’t look good if the plant inside isn’t doing well!
- Typically, you want 6”-8” of soil in your container to allow the plant to expand its root system
- To prevent standing water (and root suffocation,) use taller decorative plant containers
- A container that’s too wide will lead the plant to spend more resources on developing roots versus developing what’s above the soil
Best Decorative Plant Containers: Popular Trends
There is a large variety in popular designs for decorative plant containers. You should be able to find pots that will complement the design style of your indoor furniture as well as your backyard. However, it is also wise to choose containers that will work with any environment.
- Modern deco containers are very popular right now, with simple abstract shapes and colors that will work well with any modern-styled furnishings
- Patterned containers are also popular, with repeating stones, lines, and curves that make a beautiful addition to any household
- Intricately decorated containers are always popular, but typically you must find ones that truly complement the design style you have in mind
- Containers are available in any color, but if you want containers that will always be popular, choose more natural tones, like black, copper, and bronze